Wednesday, June 14, 2017

21 weeks





 
Oh man. This week has been a doozy, and not in the best way. 

Miriam was stillborn at 21w1d, so I was dreading Saturday, the day I would be the same gestation. I was so ready to get past it and was ready to celebrate at 21w2d so that I could be the most pregnant I had ever been. But, Friday night, I had enough extra discharge (TMI I know, but there's no better way to explain the situation) that I was worried. It definitely didn't feel like my water BROKE like last time, but it was different enough that I was worried I was leaking or something.

Of course the worst time to be worried is Friday night since the doctor's office is closed until Monday. Friday-Monday doesn't sound like a long time to be worried until you are right in the thick of it. I called the on-call doctor line at my OB's office Friday night (she's in a practice with 5 other OBs) and the on-call doctor was the same one that insensitively told me I was going to have a miscarriage back in February. So, I was obviously disappointed she was the doctor on call. But, I explained the situation and although she tried to tell me not to be worried, she also spoke in a way that was (again) really insensitive, and also essentially said she didn't want to come in and check me out. It was really dismissive.

I tried not to worry, but how do you make your brain stop worrying when PTSD kicks in? I spent most of the weekend on modified bedrest in case I WAS leaking amniotic fluid, and every trip to the bathroom, sneeze or bathroom urge was compared to those last days of pregnancy with Miriam between water breaking and losing her. It was a ROUGH weekend. I counted down hours until Monday and I'm not exaggerating. I called in a replacement for my church job and stayed home from church on Sunday. I wish that I could have 100% believed the doctor on call when she said she didn't think I should be worried, but I was a wreck. When you've had a loss and something reminds you of the trauma of last time, it's almost impossible to get out of that worried cycle without confirmation that all is ok.

Side note: Dave is amazing and wonderful to me. He is quite literally the best husband. He was so kind and gentle all weekend to me and took care of the kids all weekend. He didn't tell me I was crazy or exaggerating and although he tried to calm me down he completely understood why I was so anxious. And he completely supported me when we had a baby-sitter come Monday morning at 7:45am to watch the kids so we could be at my MFM's office (high risk OB) the moment they opened at 8 (even though I didn't have an appointment until 3).

Every time we leave the parking lot at the doctor's office we say how grateful we are for such a good, compassionate, and knowledgeable doctor less than 10 minutes from our house. Despite not being on the calendar for 7 more hours (although I did cry from the moment I stepped into the office) he saw me right away and had the ultrasound done showing every thing was normal and baby girl had a full fluid sac. Even after having good news I continued to cry as emotions were very high after the weekend for goodness sake! He sat with me and answered all kinds of questions and concerns for at least 20 minutes and never ONCE made me feel like a crazy lady. Actually, he reassured me over and over how normal it is to have high anxiety in a pregnancy after a traumatic loss. He is a good man and I'm so grateful he's my MFM!

But, unfortunately, my anxiety has stayed high this week. My counselor has showed me this chart (or a similar one) a few times and mentioned how it would be ideal to live in the 1-2 range. But, that of course I will be living in the 3-5 range for a lot of this pregnancy and that that that's ok. Of course we talk about strategies for getting closer to the 2, but to be honest, if I'm at a 3 level that would be success. 



But, I was definitely at a 6 all weekend. After being at a 6 all weekend, it's hard to get all the way back down to a 3. Especially if you're already a naturally anxious person. So, I've still been functioning at a 5, even after the good visit on Monday. I would say there are time I'm distracted enough to be at a 4 (hooray!), but I don't know if I've gotten back down to just a 3, and certainly not to a 2. But, I'm working on it.

Have I also mentioned how much I love our counselor? She's is a total gift. She is an infertility survivor and seriously one of the kindest and wisest people I have ever met. Today she gave me more practical tips for helping to manage the anxiety. Like calling my OB's nurse and explaining how I felt Friday night talking to the on-call doctor to discuss possible ways to be sure I feel like I can come in whenever I need. And seeing if I can change my MFM appointment to Fridays instead of Mondays so that I can go into weekends with a (hopefully) good report. Isn't she so smart? Both calls have been made and so I get to go back to the doctor in 2 days! Never in my life have I counted down with such intensity to doctor appointments! ha!

Anyway, the weekend was tough. And I'm super disappointed that my anxiety didn't go away once I hit 21w2d like I had hoped. Sigh. That was an unrealistic expectation. But, it's still a good accomplishment that I have made it this far and so has baby girl! 


And I will end the post on a positive note... despite the weekend being mostly stress, there was a very high moment. Saturday night, so the exact gestation I was when Miriam passed, we felt baby girl kick! Eek! I felt it AND saw it through my belly! I never once felt Miriam move so this was so, so exciting. Dave was sitting right beside me and got to see and feel it too. It's actually quite an odd feeling. Since I've spent most of the pregnancy not wanting to talk about pregnancy or this baby as a real person it's kind of scary and weird to think about there being a little 1lb (ultrasound Monday estimated her weight to be 15oz, about 3-4 days ahead of schedule... go girl!) being inside of me pushing against my insides. It's quite miraculous, and honestly, quite unbelievable. I hope she gives me some good clear kicks more regularly to give some reassurance that she is doing well in there.

So, there you have it. I would LOVE for next week's update to be more optimistic. For now I'm still counting down days and sometimes hours to be closer and closer to when I will hopefully start to feel more optimism than anxiety. Today there's still more anxiety than optimism, and that's ok. But I would sure love for that balance to switch.

Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers! And can you do me a favor and leave a comment if you read this? I would love to know who is reading and it really is like a little virtual hug of support knowing people are caring and checking in on us. <3

24 comments:

  1. I've been following your journey for a long time and am an adoptive Mama also. I prayed for you tonight for your anxiety and that you would be able to hold your sweet princess in your arms (a long time from now!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! We are so grateful for the prayers!

      Delete
  2. I have been reading for years and praying along for your precious family :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always reading and praying!! I'm so glad for the positive news and that you are feeling her kick now- how wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We appreciate all the payers we can get!

      Delete
  4. Always thinking and praying for you all. I checked in earlier this week and was a concerned that you hadn't updated. So happy everything is okay!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the thoughts and prayers! It means so much to us!

      Delete
  5. Elizabeth,
    I pray daily for you and your baby girl, I zay one pray for Dave as i am sure he has all kinds of emotions too. You guys are in my thoughts and continued prayers. Thanls for updaing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely reading and praying. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, love you and this good report! And, I love your therapist's idea about changing your appointment day! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, she's brilliant!

      Delete
  8. Virtual hugs are awesome... here is mine! *hug*. Deep peace friend, prayers and love always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A reader from the UK and a fellow Christian and anxiety sufferer- I randomly stumbled upon your blog and have been checking in. I sobbed so much over your loss of precious Miriam and I am thrilled this pregnancy is going well, though I can fully acknowledge your anxieties. Praying for you all!! Laura xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all the support! I'm sorry you also deal with anxiety!

      Delete
  10. Love and prayers coming from our family. Praying for many more weekly updates! So glad you are feeling baby girl's kicks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erin! We hope the same!

      Delete
  11. Man, anxiety sucks. I've been seeing a counselor who deals exclusively with anxiety for almost a year and she has a very similar chart. For MONTHS I lived in the mid range, and felt "good" if I hit a four. Be good to yourself. Under the circumstances, I think three deserves ice cream! Fist bump, mama. You're doing great! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, yes. I want to be at a 2-3 SO badly, but I need to accept that a 4 is success!

      Delete
  12. Ugh so sorry last week was so anxiety ridden. Thrilled to hear you are feeling and seeing kicks! And that Dave could too! Praying always <3 Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  13. So do I need to comment for you to know that I'm reading? 😜 (Sorry I'm two weeks behind and that I thought Miriam was born at 21w2d!) HOORAY for kicks and good counselors and great husbands.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the online version of a hug! Thanks for showing the love by commenting! :-)