Sunday, August 24, 2014

Tragedy

I know there's been a whole lot of tough stuff in the news recently. It's overwhelming how much sadness and tragedy there is! I have felt sick to my stomach a whole lot in the past couple of weeks or so.

First there's the killing of Christians by ISIS in Iraq. The stories coming out are so graphic and upsetting. It's hard to even think about. And THEN to realize that all you can do to help these victims on the other side of the world is to pray. And it's also upsetting that it's so hard to find much information about what's really going on. My heart breaks for that whole part of the world.

And then, what has really hit close to home for me is the killing of Mike Brown. It's not surprising that our home would be affected very personally by this because we have a mixed race son who is mostly black. And to think that even in the US in 2014 there are places where there is so much hatred toward blacks that a young black man could be shot 6 times even though his hand were in the air in surrender. My heart breaks.

And to think there are people in this very country that still want to blame the victim for his own death is even more heartbreaking. Whenever I'm out in public with the buddy pretty much everyone talks about how cute and sweet and friendly he is. And I just wonder... when will go from cute to "threatening"? Sigh. This also causes me to pray a whole lot.

But, I thought I would share the articles that have been more informative and thought-provoking. I hope you take the time to read some of this and take the time to stand against the ever-troublesome racism that still haunts our country.

Eyewitness Accounts of the Event
Your white friend is telling you that white privilege is real.
America is Not for Black People - I don't like this title, but the article is so poignant.
First they came for the black people and I did not speak out 
How to be a white ally to black people I really like how this article gives us ideas of what WE can do to help with racism
Pay attention to Ferguson- some really great resources compiled by Rachel Held Evans

I know we THINK we are not racist, and that neither are our friends and/or family, but if you really think about the assumptions and judgments you make about people, you might discover you're not as free from bias as you might think.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post- it must be very hard to think in these terms about your own son. Below is my favorite article to come of of the tragedy of Mike Brown. It's a response piece to a NYT article here: http://www.boston.com/news/nation/2014/08/25/last-weeks-spent-grappling-with-problems-and-promise/nylo241bHnLubZODHeGhwL/story.html and here is the response: http://www.boston.com/news/nation/2014/08/25/there-are-angels-what-the-new-york-times-won-tell-you/zycFsD9vQFVGqNVb3m4cSM/story.html?p1=Must_Reads_hp

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have thought the exact same thing about our son! How could anyone look at him some day and think of him as threatening - my sweet little boy. It tears me up inside.

    All these tragedies have been weighing heavy on my heart too. I grieve for our world.

    Hannah
    hannahbunker.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the online version of a hug! Thanks for showing the love by commenting! :-)