Sunday, November 3, 2013

ALDI & The Whole30

Do you have an ALDI in your area? We do, but I haven't shopped there much over the years because it's in a pretty inconvenient location to where we live. And in the past their produce was really awful. However, as we've tried to cut costs since I work part-time I've re-discovered it and LOVE it! There is a lot of processed food there that I wouldn't want to buy for our family, but there is some GREAT stuff there too! The produce has also really improved. They don't really have organic, so I try to stay away from the dirty dozen as much as possible. (Although I didn't know celery and summer squash were on the list and I went for strawberries when I shouldn't have. Sigh. Those will have to come from Trader Joe's next time.)

Anyway, Dave and I are attempting the "Whole30" program this month. It's a diet of sorts that you do for 30 days to clean out your system and focus on real food! It's a great idea, but definitely stricter than what we've done in the past since you don't have ANY grains or legumes! It's been kind of a "cold start" since we didn't really have a "let's decide whether or not we want to do this and when" conversation. I just started off this past week deciding to cut out gluten and sugar, but by Wednesday decided we needed to do this entire food change and so I guess it officially starts today? Or tomorrow? I've been eating this way for a few days, but Dave is having a hard time cutting out cereal/oatmeal for breakfast.

Well, all that to say, our focus is really on healthy meats, good fats and veggies. We've having fruit too, but it shouldn't be the focus. So, of course I needed to load up on produce and nuts and headed to ALDI. I was SHOCKED at some of the good finds I got! :-)


So, here is my loot. Anyone want to guess how much all this cost us? First of all I suppose I should share what all we got.

3 lbs of wild caught salmon
1 lb of flounder
3 lbs of chicken breast (not pastured, so not the best I know)
8 rolls of toilet paper
2 lbs of cashews
2 lbs of mixed nuts
8 oz of almonds
celery
1 lb of whole carrots
bag of baby carrots
bunch of bananas
2 heads of broccoli
3 yellow summer squash
1 jar of spaghetti sauce (ingredients aren't bad!)
4 bags of frozen veggies
2 acorn squash
Italian Seasoning
Oregano
8oz jar of wild mustard (also great ingredients!)
1 box of raisins
1 bag of dried apricots
2 lb bag of pears
strawberries
2 lbs of vine tomatoes
3 kiwi
2 lbs of asparagus
4 avocados
2 mangoes
1 pomegranate

Any guesses? Ok. The total was $103!! That's It!! And that's after our crazy 9.5% sales tax! The best finds for me was the 1lb bags of wild caught salmon for just $5 and the big jars of nuts for $11. Those were definitely the most expensive, but WAY cheaper than we would have found elsewhere.

Dave says it's lame that I took this picture and am sharing this, but it's very exciting to me. :-) Of course we'll still need to pick up things elsewhere, like organic greens, milk, (for the buddy), etc. but this is a great start for us. I should also add that we bought 1/2 a cow with my parents at the end of the summer, so we aren't buying ground beef right now and just take it out of the deep freezer where the breastmilk used to be. :) We really want to get good quality bacon and other breakfast meats, but want to be sure we find a kind without added nitrites/nitrates. It's hard to find without paying a lot. I'll be on the lookout when we go to Trader Joe's for our other stuff. :) I still have to get Nathaniel's lunchmeat, almond butter and cheese there. Thank goodness we can have that almond butter! :-)

4 comments:

  1. I think that's pretty impressive for $103! And not lame at all ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to go to Aldi for everything!!!! Now I only get their pineapple, oranges, etc, but still love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!! I also heard a rumor that they will be getting organic produce/fruit in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this. I have gone to the brand new Aldi's in our neighborhood (only open less than a month) and I'm shocked at the low prices. This store is very small (compared to larger ones farther drive north), but it has enough for two people to make meals. I appreciate your photo and list. I'm gonna take a notebook next time and assess aisles and frozen foods (I have spent very little time looking around) to see what staples we'll want from there. I find the selection of fruits and veggies limited in ours, but I have no problem doing a farmer's market trip once a week to fill out what Aldi's lacks. I'm allergic to seafood and hubby hates seafood (all fo it), so we have to rely on chicken, eggs, turkey, cheese, beef, and pork for protein. And the occasional nut butters/nuts. (I have thyroid disorder so soy is out and he hates tofu, which I actually like but avoid.)

    Again, thanks. I like t hat they have GF options for those cravings (GF pizza and wraps). The GF bread sucked, though, which is fine. Hubby is not into bread.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the online version of a hug! Thanks for showing the love by commenting! :-)