Monday, June 17, 2013

So, about those teeth....

I failed to remember that when the buddy's first four teeth came in, that just because they poked through  did NOT mean that he was done "teething!" They are still working their way ALL the way through, so we've still got some pain on our hands.

Poor little guy... four molars at the same time! He is still waking up in the night, so I'm pretty tired. But, I know it's just a phase and I hope it passes soon. I'm so torn between picking him up and feeding him right away when he cries at night and letting him cry a bit to see if he falls back asleep on his own. It's especially hard at bedtime because as soon as I go to put him down he GRABS onto me and cries. It's the saddest thing! But, in the past week I've realized that if I hold him and rock him to sleep he actually sleeps WORSE than if I put him in his bed awake, he cries for 5 minutes then passes out. It's an interesting phenomenon.

A teacher friend of mine actually confirmed it for me. She said that babies (and really all of us) sleep better when they fall asleep in the same environment they stay in for the night. When babies are rocked to sleep and THEN are put in their cribs their little bodies are confused upon waking in the night and they cry until they are back in their original state (obviously not a strict rule). This is the same reason why it's hard to fall asleep on the couch then get into bed and fall back asleep. Your body wants to stay in the same environment it fell asleep in, including lights, sounds etc. So, as hard as it is for me to walk out of his room when he's crying, knowing that he will actually sleep better and stay asleep longer makes it worth it.

You really won't believe this cute little mouth of teeth all coming in. I promise to post a picture when he finally sits still and gives me a toothy grin. :-) Although when he comes in for a big "kiss" these days we're having to teach him that it doesn't involve biting! ha! :)

2 comments:

  1. We had SO MANY sleep problems with Harriet. And lately we've really been dealing with the teething too. She had a 102 fever from Friday-Sunday this week all because of teething. It's so sad. I feel awful for your poor little guy as well! I'll say a prayer for him (and for you) right now.

    Also, here are a couple of links to posts I wrote about Harriet's sleep...

    the problems:
    http://teachmetobraid.blogspot.com/2013/01/lullaby-and-goodnight.html

    the solutions:
    http://teachmetobraid.blogspot.com/2013/02/sweet-dreams.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh!! Em!! I can NOT believe all you went through with sleep! I like to think that God makes parenthood easier for those of us that have been through infertility, but that sure is not the case! I'm SOO glad you got some solutions and that she's sleeping better at night. We started CIO before I thought we would because he would wake up SO tired from naps and would be very cranky. So, when he was just about 11 weeks old we had him CIO to fall back asleep. Sometimes I feel bad about it, but I definitely don't regret it because it only took him a few days (and we did the graduation method where we went back in and soothed since he was so little) and he took longer naps and actually started sleeping through the night. Of course, his night sleeping has been awful the past 6-8 weeks or so and I can't believe he slept better at night at just 3 months than he does now! I don't know if it's the teething or my new habit of going in as soon as I hear crying. Likely both!

    Anyway, I hope your sweet Harriet feels better soon and those teeth stop giving her such a hard time... poor baby! :( That fever sounds awful!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the online version of a hug! Thanks for showing the love by commenting! :-)