Saturday, May 11, 2013

Mother's Day 2013

I am truly humbled by how God has changed previously sad dates for us. And I sure feel it this time of year! The wrote about our 2 year "anniversary" of our grim diagnosis, and I still CANNOT believe that the buddy was born on Mother's Day 2012. At 12:15AM. 

We lived that morning in ignorance, wondering if we would find a connection with the birthmother when we met her the following day. Unbeknownst to us, she had already given birth to a baby boy and had told the social worker that "He is beautiful, but he's David and Elizabeth's son." Tears!
To remember that day is to remember a dream. A day of foggy emotions. A day of little sleep and giddy excitement. The day that a dream come true. It was a day of fears, worries, excitement, attempts to "not get our hopes up" in case it all fell through. And really, so much fear and so much joy wrapped together in the gift that is parenthood. And this mix of emotions has continued for the past year. There is SO MUCH FEAR as a parent. But it's accompanied by undeniable and unexplainable joy. I can't even think about putting that teeny, tiny baby in that carseat for the first time and making the 3.5 hr drive home without remembered how terrified yet exhilarated I felt. We were bringing the most precious gift in the world to our home, to join our family, to become our son.

Would I really make a good mother? Could I really handle this?

Regardless of the answer, I am a Mother. I am a mother on Mother's Day and you know what? To me, all that REALLY matters is that it's the buddy's birthday and we get to celebrate HIM. And his first year in our family.

But, this weekend I still want to remember so many for whom Mother's Day is a difficult holiday. It still irks me that it is socially acceptable to say "Happy Mother's Day" to every woman that you see. Because what if it's not a Happy Mother's Day for them? There are so many reasons why it might be a difficult day. This is what I wrote last year for this day, and I figure I'll just share it again. 



"But, I also want to just take the time this weekend to remember and pray for EVERYONE that is sad on Mother's Day. It's not just sad for those going through infertility, but for those with estranged relationships with their moms, or people who have recently lost their mothers... I'm sure it's a day loaded with lots of emotions for a lot of people.

I know it's meant to be a day of joy for those that ARE mothers and that have mothers they are close to! I am glad to have a special day to show my mom appreciation for her love and support and for always being there. So, Happy Mother's Day to my wonderful mom! And to all the other mothers out there. :)

But, please take a moment to remember those who mourn on this day. It's a day of "hibernation" for many of us. Even a commercial that used to seem so innocent can cause much pain and feelings of loss. So, just as we rejoice with those who rejoice (or at least try to), take some time to mourn with those who mourn. I've received two cards from very thoughtful people saying they are remembering us and praying for us and it meant so much. A thoughtful word of love and support is very meaningful, so don't be afraid to reach out to those who may be sad for various reasons this Mother's Day."

Also, here's a FANTASTIC blog post about Mother's Day that I just want to share.

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your cutie! I am so glad to see so many posts honoring those who are hurting during this holiday. People who've never experienced any of this hurt honestly don't get it or think about it. I too wrote a post in honor of those who are often forgotten on Mother's Day. I hope all of these posts will help raise awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. =) Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I"m so very blessed to have you as my daughter-- my pride and joy! I Love you Honey-- and admire your sensitivity to those who grieve during this season -- I am very very grateful and take nothing for granted. Happy Mother's Day honey. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to your darling boy! Even though I've already read the story of his coming to you, I loved reading it again.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the online version of a hug! Thanks for showing the love by commenting! :-)