Wednesday, February 20, 2013

If only I could give the Buddy MY recent weight gain :/

I was feeling pretty optimistic over the weekend about N's weight. I had a plan and I was sticking to it! I was kind of nervous, but I thought that by being more intentional about higher calorie foods we could help him gain enough weight that the pediatrician wouldn't be so concerned.

However, starting on Sunday night, this kid has started refusing almost all food. Every meal and snack is a battle. His upper gums are swollen so much, it looks like there are two little balloons up there. :( When his two bottom teeth came in we had the HARDEST time getting him to take a bottle. And this time he's not only refusing the bottle, but also his solids. :/ It makes the days so very stressful and upsetting for everyone.

If we weren't having this weight check a week from tomorrow we wouldn't be stressing as much about it, but we know that he really, REALLY needs to put on weight in order for the doctor to not be concerned, so we are doing what we can. Which means we are giving him Tylenol, putting natural gum gel on this little top gums and putting his nipple in the freezer before each feeding and feeding him in front of the tv. :/ This is NOT what we want to make a habit, but we discovered he will eat when distracted (and is the only method of doing so when only one of us is with him.

We've gotten close to his normal number of liquid ounces, but like I said, each time it's a fight. He will take a couple of ounces at the beginning without a fuss, but after that he cries and squirms and we have to get him settled and distracted again. I feel so horrible for him, but we don't know what else to do. Once he's distracted (if we're both home instead of the tv, it involves Dave dancing around with stuffed animals. I think I'm the more entertained one there... haha) he will eat a little more, but sometimes not much at all.

You know how when you're sick or when you have a cold you just don't feel like eating? I'm sure he also has that feeling with the pain in his mouth so we feel so bad for him. I even tried freezing bite-sized blobs of his favorite baby food and feeding them to him in small, cold bites, but he doesn't seem to like it. :/ The odd thing is that when I put his coconut oil on his face to help with the dry skin (after his bath) he always opens his mouth for bites. How can I say no to high calorie, healthy saturated fat!? I can't, so I don't!

My mother-in-law is a speech therapist at a clinic where she works with lots of professionals, including physical therapists and feeding therapists, etc. She told me that with their clients, those whose children have feeding difficulties, of all kinds. She said it's because with babies and small children you're feeding them all throughout the day, so every feeding time can become stressful, especially when they're needing to gain weight.


That's reassuring to me that I guess that makes me normal. And that all the tears are normal. That the feeling of being powerless is normal. Knowing that when it comes down to it that the situation is out of your control is normal (and upsettingly reminiscent of infertility). 

Just a week ago I felt like we were in such a good place with his eating. He took his bottles without a problem and other than his lunch bottle they were all over 5 oz, which was great! And he ate his solids REALLY well and had just started to eat entire jars of food. And now I feel like since our Dr. visit last week, the pressure I now feel, the buddy's sore mouth and disinterest in food (he used to get all excited when he saw his bottle, but not anymore), that we are moving in the wrong direction. I'm so discouraged tonight. Please pray that those top teeth will pop in soon and that our sweet boy will get relief from his pain and will start eating well again.

I'm trying to trust God. I know in my head I'm supposed to let Him carry this burden, but as a new mom, I think I just feel it so heavily on my shoulders right now. And I just really, really want to see our sweet boy happy and healthy and growing as he should. And right now that seems like an incredibly lofty wish.

Thanks for the prayers!

8 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry. :( This sounds so stressful. (Although, I would pay good money to see Dave dance with stuffed animals.) This too shall pass! Noah has always gone through stages of eating great for a week, and eating NOTHING the next week. I know you know that... and it doesn't help you, because you have to see your stupid doctor this week. Ugh. I'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've enjoyed following your blog! I just read your posts on buddy's weight. E dropped from around the 25th percentile to the 10th percentile right around 8-9 months. She still measured in the 10th percentile at 12 months and now at her 15 month checkup she is back to 25th percentile. Our pediatrician was never once worried (even though I was) and said it was perfectly normal. Plus, our doc never looks at just the weight chart or just the height chart but looks at them together! Since she was measuring in the same percentiles on BOTH weight and height he was not concerned. Had she been 10th in weight and 90th in height then he may (I stress may) have worried, but it doesn't sound like that's the case with buddy. Sorry if I've overlooked where you mentioned his height percentile or other info that would make my comment unhelpful, but as a mama that worried about the same stuff I wanted to offer my support. I think finding the right doc is so important and you know your baby best and should trust your instincts as you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Stacy! I'm wondering if I know you from somewhere or if you found me through "blog-land." :-) It doesn't look like you have a blog link.

      Delete
    2. I forgot it would only say Stacy! Stacy Cornwall from the Kuyper/Cornwall bunch :-) I'm a blog reader (more than a blog writer) so at some point your blog was passed along - thank you for sharing about the little one and all!

      Delete
    3. Oh great! Thanks for following and commenting! Hope you all are doing well! :-)

      Delete
  3. Oh, I just pray you guys can de-stress about the whole thing. His growth chart looks like he is growing well on his own curve. If I meet up with that doctor I might just punch her right in the nose. She obviously doesn't know how you research and think carefully about every part of parenting and you're not doing anything weird. I've seen him clamp his lips closed and turn away--he seems to feel full quickly. When kids teethe weird things happen in their mouths.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just took Noelle to her 3 year appointment and her weight was way down, too. The doctor wants me to take her in again in a month to get re-weighed, but I think I may pass. She eats well, is healthy, and recently recovered from a week of diarrhea (hello, weight loss!). I thought it was ironic since you had just gone through the same thing. It's hard to not doubt yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it IS hard not to doubt yourself! I'm sure that sweet girl is doing just fine. Except for that poor diarrhea! Poor girl! That is definitely where she must have lost weight!

      Delete

Comments are the online version of a hug! Thanks for showing the love by commenting! :-)