Tuesday, January 1, 2013

My Resolution for 2013: Mindfulness

I like starting over. Wiping the slate clean and starting from scratch. Especially when life gets particularly messy. I think that's one reason I enjoy teaching. Every year I get a "do-over" where I get to start again from the beginning.

So, here's to a New Year! Although I have to say that I don't want to start this one from scratch. For me, 2012 began with heartache yet brought more joy than we ever would have anticipated! So, I don't want to start over with anything except for my attitude. And this year I hope to be more mindful in the present moment and appreciate exactly where we are.

If you know me, you know this is a pretty impossible task. :-) I'm always planning for the future, wondering what the next step is, and this year I'm going to try my best to keep my mind and heart present in the moment. Whew! It will be quite a challenge, but I know this will keep my heart focused on where God wants me each day instead of wondering where He wants to lead me next.


I recently read this prayer from St. Teresa of Avila and wanted to pass it along. It will be my prayer for 2013 no matter what happens in the new year. I hope it encourages you as it has me.


"Let nothing trouble you,
let nothing frighten you.
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience obtains all things.
He who possesses God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices."


Also, on a related note, if you are going through infertility and are feeling emotionally overwhelmed, discouraged, frustrated, etc. let me recommend a fantastic book to you. "Conquering Infertility" by Dr. Alice Domar was a HUGE help to me and I would say out of the many books about curing and dealing with infertility it was by far the most helpful as it addresses ways to cope with the many emotions of infertility.

7 comments:

  1. Hi! I found you through Wynne's blog! You have a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth! My middle name is Anne too! But, it's with an "e". :-)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the comment on my blog (hannahbunker.com)! . I'm so sorry for all the junk you've had to go through with infertility but God is so faithful to provide exactly what he knew we needed. You have a beautiful family!

    I love your "Our Abbreviated Story over on your sidebar. That's about where my husband and I are in our IF journey. I've written about our hope and faith through infertility in a series called "Waiting for Grace" on my blog (that I'm currently writing a book on!). And I write for a Christian infertility support website (dancinguponbarrenland.com). We've been trying for 2.5 years, done 2 IUIs, and have been disqualified from numerous IVF studies for different reasons and basically, it's bleak for us. While we still believe God for biological kids, we've stopped fertility treatments. It took us a year to make that decision but we feel very peaceful about that decision and are excited that God has put it on our hearts to adopt. So I'm excited about reading your story!

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH man, it sounds like you have been through SO much. :/ I'll need to look for the "Waiting for Grace" series as I'm sure it would be both challenging and encouraging for me. I'm so excited that you'll be adopting! It's a bigger blessing than I ever would have realized. :-)

      Delete
  3. I also love new beginnings! I've felt God doing the same in my life. I need to simplify and refocus on my discipleship and my heart. I'll be catching up with you on this blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allie! I'm going to follow yours too! :-) You always have smart things to say. :-)

      Delete
  4. Did you know the Chamber Singers sang a setting of that text a few years ago? In Spanish, too!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the online version of a hug! Thanks for showing the love by commenting! :-)