Monday, November 12, 2012

More on Adoption Awareness Month!

I've been wanting to post about "National Adoption Month" this whole month! But, sadly I've pretty much been sick for the past month or so. BUT, I'm finally feeling better and wanted to offer some information and resources about adoption.

Here is some information about how you and your family can take part in adoption and orphan care, even without adopting a child. - http://media.focusonthefamily.com/free-downloads/pdf/Orphan%20Care%20Resource%20Kit.pdf?refcd=142805

Wonderful website- "I Care about Orphans"

Also, here's something important for everyone to know. I can't tell you how many stories I've recently heard about families that have adopted, but also have their "own" children. I know these people are well-intentioned, so I can't blame them, but it does hurt my feelings a bit. As if the buddy isn't "my own" just because we don't share the same genetics? :/ Again, I'm not mad at these people and know they just have never been told correct adoption language. So, here's a link to the appropriate terms to use when talking about adoption! http://www.icareaboutorphans.org/CorrectAdoptionLanguage.aspx

That's all for today. More to come (hopefully)!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing!! I am sorry you have been sick and I am glad you are starting to feel better! I look forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm prety sure I could do about 45 posts just on adoption language, what to say and not to say, why it's offensive or hurtful. Glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the terminology tip page, I'm always working on making myself less offensive ;-) I wish I could say I'm joking, lol. Hope you guys are doing well! I think we need some new pics of the little man!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the online version of a hug! Thanks for showing the love by commenting! :-)