Friday, May 18, 2012

What.A.Week!

When I wrote the last blog about Mother's Day, I actually had recently heard that we had been selected by a birthmom! But, I didn't want to mention it or not mention Mother's Day at all since we weren't planning meeting her until Monday (the 14th) and I didn't want to announce it to the world until it became "official."

We were so excited, but also scared! She was due May 26th, just 3 weeks after we heard and thought that seemed VERY soon to bring home a baby. But, we were super excited to meet the birthmom and we were also excited that she was expecting a baby girl. We started talking about the most adorable girl baby names and I actually ordered a baby girl outfit from Target online (it was on clearance... good sales always get me). But, we were also very cautious. We didn't want to announce or assume anything until we met the birthmom and made things more official.

However, if there's one thing I've learned, or should learn, it's that life never goes according to plan! We got the call from the agency on Sunday afternoon (yes, just 5 days ago) that the birthmom had already delivered the baby and it was a BOY! (Talk about a lot of surprises in just one week's time!) He was born at 12:15 on Mother's Day at 6 lbs. 7 oz. They wanted us to head to Memphis Monday morning to meet both the baby boy and his birthmother. AND to pick out a name!

We discussed names, got a carseat, feverishly took stored baby furniture out of the attic and packed our bags to head to Memphis. And Tuesday night we brought home our baby boy! AHHHH!!! It's still so unbelievable! I became a mother on MOTHER'S DAY! And without any notice! It's such a miracle!

On this blog I will call him baby N. He is SUCH a good baby! We love him so much and have spent lots of time loving on him and kissing him (and obviously taking good care of him). On one hand it seems incredibly normal that I'm now basing my entire life on feedings every 3 hours, but on the other hand I feel like I'm in a dream! It's very, very difficult to believe.

His birthmother is an amazing and incredible woman and we're going to have an open adoption so he will be able to know her as he grows up. And because it's adoption and we have about 2 weeks left until it's all settled and official (the amount of time she has to change her mind), I won't be posting pictures here yet. But, will be soon! He's absolutely beautiful.

Anyway, I can't even fathom that less than a month ago I was blogging about Infertility Awareness Week and this week I can't even get a spare moment to READ any blogs, let alone write any. I don't know when reality will truly set in.

More to come... AHHH!!! I can't believe I'm writing this!!

12 comments:

  1. Omg!!! Fabulous news! So excited for you! I can not wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations I am so over the moon happy for you. Does the name have any meaning to it? This is my new obsession actually, finding names that have a family tie of some sorts. Either way I am so very happy for you, you and your new family are in my thoughts as you continue on this new and exciting path!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so, so happy for you!!!! What a miracle and surprise for you guys. Congrats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post, Liz! I am soooooooo happy for you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so so so happy for you and David and Nathaniel. And that is so funny that just about everything is a total surprise - even his sex! I feel so incredibly humbled that you and I both have experienced some of our lowest lows this past year and within the past month have also been blessed to see those cries to the Lord be answered in ways we barely hoped to dream of. Not that there won't be hard times ahead...but I think you know what I mean. I am SO HAPPY for you guys! I continue to pray for the birthmom, that God will give her the support, love, & peace she needs to go forward. I want to give her a big hug. I can't wait to hear more about this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO glad you finally get to post this most joyous blog!!! Hip hip hooray!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!!! I am so incredibly happy for you. :) I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been wondering what happened - soooooooooooo wonderfully happy for you! Can't wait to hear more about your sweet boy. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!! (continuing to do that happy dance for you!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY!! Congratulations; I am so happy for you! What a great mother's day! May God bless your new little family, and I can't wait to see pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so, so excited for you. What a fantastic Mothers' Day. God is good - can't wait to read more!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations!! That is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the online version of a hug! Thanks for showing the love by commenting! :-)