Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mother's Day

I've been feelings like I should blog something about Mother's Day, but I haven't been too inspired. For me, it's the passing of the dates on the calendar while everything stays the same that upset me most. Like the one year mark of receiving our news last week....

The truth is that the fact that we got the news on Mother's Day weekend wasn't especially significant for me for some reason. Probably because I was so distracted by my crying all weekend anyway. :/ But, also I think that it helped that we have a wonderful church that doesn't want the focus of the worship service to be on anything other than God. So, they never do anything like asking all the mothers to stand or clapping for the oldest mother in the room or something like that. And I think it also helps that we don't have tv service at home, so thankfully we haven't had to watch horribly sentimental Mother's Day commercials. THAT would be hard for me. But, I'm also not super enthusiastic about tomorrow either and plan on lying low for the day.

But, I also want to just take the time this weekend to remember and pray for EVERYONE that is sad on Mother's Day. It's not just sad for those going through infertility, but for those with estranged relationships with their moms, or people who have recently lost their mothers... I'm sure it's a day loaded with lots of emotions for a lot of people.

I know it's meant to be a day of joy for those that ARE mothers and that have mothers they are close to! I am glad to have a special day to show my mom appreciation for her love and support and for always being there. So, Happy Mother's Day to my wonderful mom! And to all the other mothers out there. :)

But, please take a moment to remember those who mourn on this day. It's a day of "hibernation" for many of us. Even a commercial that used to seem so innocent can cause much pain and feelings of loss. So, just as we rejoice with those who rejoice (or at least try to), take some time to mourn with those who mourn. I've received two cards from very thoughtful people saying they are remembering us and praying for us and it meant so much. A thoughtful word of love and support is very meaningful, so don't be afraid to reach out to those who may be sad for various reasons this Mother's Day.

Here are links to posts others have written that are much better that what I've written. :)
Mourning with Those who Mourn on Mother's Day
Mother's Day is Not Always a Day of Celebration

5 comments:

  1. It is a complicated day for so many - birth mothers, those waiting to be mothers, those who have lost their mothers, those who are estranged from their mothers, those whose children have died. And I'm sure many I can't think of. Thank you for reminding us all to remember all of the mothers out there, even the ones who don't seem so obvious. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry this is a tough day for you! I am glad you have your church to help you. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was already dreading tomorrow. I came home tonight though, and had a card from 2 very adorable nieces wishing me a Happy Mother's Day since there is no Aunt's Day! My SIL struggled for both of those girls... so she obviously remembers the pain of mother's day on those struggling well. Such a small act means so much. So glad you received some special cards as well. I wish everyone sad tomorrow for their own reasons, could receive a special something from someone just to remind them they are loved. ~ Great post... as usual!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this blog post on my friend's facebook wall and thought it was another good post on Mother's Day. I was thinking of you this past Sunday. Glad your church isn't blind to these kinds of struggles.

    Love you!

    http://messymiddle.com/2012/05/10/an-open-letter-to-pastors-a-non-mom-speaks-about-mothers-day/

    ReplyDelete
  5. AH! Kelly! Somehow I JUST read this blog you shared and I LOVE it! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the online version of a hug! Thanks for showing the love by commenting! :-)