Thursday, March 1, 2012

Homemade Cleaners

So, in the past month or so we've been making our own household cleaners and body products! The main reason is because we want to make our home as chemical-free as we can before welcoming a baby into it. But, it's also nice because it looks like it's going to save us some money, which we most assuredly need to pay for adoption costs!

On Wednesday nights I usually tutor, but it got cancelled at the last minute, so I took the opportunity to try a few more "recipes" including a recipe for homemade body wash. It seemed successful at the time, but I'm not too wild about how it turned out. I'm going to try again with a different bar of soap (the one I used to make it tends to leave a sticky feeling, so I think it was the soap that was the problem) and see if I get different results.

For now I will share with you a few things we've been using.

1. Face/Hand/Dish Soap - This is the easiest ever! My sister, Deborah, passed this along to me as her face soap which she had been very thrilled with, and I found similar recipes to use for dish soap as well, so I'll try it on the dishes too.

Supplies
Warm Water
1/4 Cup of Liquid Castille Soap (I used Dr. Bronner's Almond Scented soap that was $15 from Whole Foods. It's cheaper at Trader Joe's, but I think it's peppermint, which would not be my ideal scent.)
8 oz foaming soap dispenser (I just reused one that had Dial in it before.)

All you do is put the 1/4 cup of Liquid Castille soap in the dispenser, add some warm water and shake it up. And you've got a multi-use, clean and natural multi-purpose soap! I read online that if you want to use it in your dishes you should add some lemon juice or vinegar to help cut the grease. Dave and I use this on our face and love it! (Just shake it a bit before each use.)



2. Facial Toner/Astringent - This is so simple and so cheap!

Supplies:
Water
Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar (This HAS to be the raw, organic kind... it often says "from the mother" for some strange reason I can't understand)

Some people mix this at a 1:1 ratio, with 1 part water to 1 part ACV. I decided to start more with a 1 part ACV and 2 parts water and it's strong enough for me.

Your face WILL be stinky until it all evaporates from your face, so just be warned. But, I've been doing this for about a month and LOVE it!


3. Laundry Detergent - Another simple and easy recipe!

Supplies
1 shaved bar of soap
1 cup Borax
1 cup washing soda

The only time consuming part of this is shaving the bar of soap. If you want your laundry detergent to be organic and all natural, just be sure to buy an organic and natural bar of soap. Grate it into a giant bowl with a regular cheese grater. Add the Borax and washing soda (you can find this in the laundry section of Wal-Mart). Then, stir the ingredients for about 5 minutes, transfer to a reusable container (like a yogurt container) and voila! Use 1-2 TBSP per load of laundry.
You can add vinegar or baking soda as fabric softener. I think I prefer baking soda, but I haven't done any scientific testing yet. :)

If you try any of this, let me know! I'll post our dishwasher detergent soon as well. :)

1 comment:

  1. I had never heard that about ACV! I am a big fan of vinegar and its apparently endless uses!(which makes the hubs a little sad, as it is a smell especially pungent and disgusting to him!) And you have great skin, so I'll definitely have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the online version of a hug! Thanks for showing the love by commenting! :-)